Strategic Planning at Penn State
In recent decades, strategic planning has paved the way for Penn State’s ascension among the ranks of the world’s great research universities. As the University continues to move forward and grow, its strategic plan will lead to even greater achievements.
In 2014 and 2015, Executive Vice President and Provost Nicholas P. Jones, and the 32-member University Strategic Planning Council worked diligently to identify and articulate the University’s priorities and goals for the five calendar years comprising 2016 through 2020. After considerable research, collegial debate, and solicitation of feedback from the Penn State community, the plan was published in February 2016 and titled: “Our Commitment to Impact: The Pennsylvania State University’s Strategic Plan for 2016 to 2020.”
In the University-wide plan, Penn state identifies its goals at a macro level and set a firm foundation for their pursuit. With the high-level strategies in place, the University is fully engaged in plan implementation. Visit the strategic plan website to read the plan and monitor progress regarding its implementation.
For more information, including details about previous Penn State strategic plans, contact the University’s Office of Planning and Assessment.
The Pennsylvania State University is a multi-campus, land-grant, public research University that educates students from around the world, and supports individuals and communities through integrated programs of teaching, research, and service.
Penn State will be a leader in research, learning, and engagement that facilitates innovation, embraces diversity and sustainability, and inspires achievements that will affect the world in positive and enduring ways.
Six core institutional values, identified in part through Penn State’s Culture and Values survey, offer essential context for the successful execution of Penn State’s mission.
- Integrity. We act with integrity in accordance with the highest academic, professional, and ethical standards.
- Respect. We respect and honor the dignity of each person, embrace civil discourse, and foster a diverse, inclusive, and safe community.
- Responsibility. We act responsibly and hold ourselves accountable for our decisions, actions, and their consequences.
- Discovery. Through advanced research and scholarship, we seek and create new knowledge and understanding, and foster creativity and innovation, for society’s benefit.
- Excellence. We strive for excellence in all of our endeavors as individuals, an institution, and a leader in higher education and research.
- Community. We work together for the betterment of our University, the communities we serve, and the world.